Monday 21 May 2012

These seasons

It is often said that life is full of seasons, plenty of them. What we never hear in detail is the intensity and the depth of each. A prolonged period of any season will usually elicit feelings, never mind their nature. I have undergone a season of plenty myself even though am still not sure of how I should feel about it.

Is it because I am your usual girl? I am a young mother, a wife and a striving career woman? I drive a small car, so small that sometimes I worry the wind might overturn it. Just before I throw a pity party it is announced that I will have to pay more at the pump if I have to keep my 'smallie' on the road. This calls for urgent budgetary rearrangement. So I summon myself for a mkutano wa dharura. In the end the verdict is obvious, some days I will have to take a matt to work, most days starting tomorrow morning!

I get to work, no drama whatsoever, fast forward and its home time. The rain must have been on a timer because by 5.00pm it is pouring as though the heavens are pissed. Armed with my umbrella, I am half running half walking to the bus stop. I hop on to the next available matt as it speeds off. Only this time the traffic is so bad the kange announces " Mwisho, Mwisho." I ask "kwanini?" "Heh! Madam hatuwezi enda hii traffic ni mezesha, shika pesa yako." pushing a 20/- coin on my hand. I stand there for a while without seeing any matt and  I decide to walk on, Skipping and hopping to avoid the floods on the road. As I get to a very flooded corner, a bus charges onto me full speed and honking. I make what I thought was a quick calculated step only to dive right into the pool! As if that is not all the bus gives me a thorough head to toe wash! I am raving mad but I still brave the walk. A few metres down I finally catch another matt and head home.
As I approach the compound I notice how unusually dark it is. No, not again! by this time, I am freezing to the core so I dash inside the house if only to grab a hot shower. Only to find everybody in pitch darkness and as though that is not enough, the taps are dry wow! I don't even get to clean myself of the roadside dirt! Anyway, proceed to change my clothes and sink into the couch thinking... "It could have been worse!"

No comments:

Post a Comment