Wednesday 16 May 2012

Travelling back

A popular saying goes " If you never travel you think that your mother is the best cook." This I have learned from the most unexpected quarters. For some reason or mother instinct, I have taken time to observe children, big, small. These little people live life, as though they are doing so for a higher cause. I  was like that until I let the toils of life flip me over. I dreamt big and I loved it... back in the village we had this plush greenery where cows grazed in the afternoon. Breath taking space it was, my sisters and I lay there face up, watching the sky trying to spot "animals" in the clouds. No care in the world!

Through my "little people study" I have had the pleasure of traveling back in time and am savoring in it. Why won't I when a little boy stands in church and prays vehemently, this boy has traveled to a unique place where only he and His God exist. And so he spills it all so boldly. Quoting scriptures and all. "Impressive, I want that" I say to myself and quickly move on and back into my life.

Monday morning and I am still deeply absorbed trying to focus. Alas! another one of my " little people" this time crossing the road beside me with her brother. A big bus coming onto us full speed doesn't seem to shake a hair in her. As we walk on, I notice that these little people are on their way to school. I inquire curiously "Which school is this?" From the name I realize that they still have a KM or so to take down. Through roads and traffic human or otherwise. Still, they move with immense determination. the shoes seem to hurt because they must be two sizes smaller that her little feet yet she walks so briskly. The skimpy shorts her brother has on must freeze his little tushy sorry but has he complained? not one bit. We split ways anyhow and life goes on for the rest of the day, pretty fast.

As I catch my matt back home another one! this time a colourful teenager who decides to juggle a soccer ball so skillfully he should be rolling in the international circles. I refuse to explore that topic because I can't even tell a British team from an American one. But one thing is for sure. These little people know life and how to live it more than any adult has.

So I set out to reclaim those days and hope to be back with a success story!

No comments:

Post a Comment