Friday 5 July 2013

My Own Dose of Medicine



In the last few months my son graduated with an honors in the "Know it all" specialty. There is no single thing that he feels he is not an expert in. Right from making eggs, to fixing the TV to igniting the car engine in all his 9years. I have not received this well. I want him to understand at every opportunity that his father and I and all other adults have lived for longer than that and most likely know more things than he has managed in this cool era of his digital life. And just because he knows more about mutant ninjas than his science teacher will ever hear of, it's not a guarantee that he is an information genius.Before long, his suddenly introduces "rules" that all should abide to. From putting his favorite programs on timer so that they conveniently interrupt me at news hour to "do not disturb it's sleep in late Saturday."
Before I pull can figure out the worst punishment as talking doesn't seem to help. It hits me hard, that he is totally being me at the same age. Going off to boarding and learning new sheng words my sisters and I thought that mum was the most uninformed adult walking the earth. We plotted, back biting and giggling at each other knowing all to well that she will never "gitch" any of it. Her sense of fashion was from Escrava Es-aura's age.... dark, gloomy and shadiest and there was no convincing us otherwise. Here I was, buying my son a pair of shoes which is "sooo uncool" and he refuses to wear it. Among all my other woes. Shrtly, my friends shows up ranting how the son asked her to refrain from talking "mama Mboga's language" to him. We looked at each other with retro and agreed as long as it doesn't get out hand we will enjoy paying this price and high five!

More than anybody else I know I have learned that the coolest thing is to seek advice from your parent, yes, she lives in the village... doesn't have to get up and beat traffic to the office BUT she knows so much more than I do. In practically every area of life! From living, raising, loving and ooh, she has alot of mechanical knowledge. My mom taught me how to check car oil, how to know my shocks need replacing and even changed my wipers!

Is that a clueless person? I can bet my life not. This is the knowledge that our children need, it is challenge, we must know more, see more and learn more in a day than they can in a week so that when the chance to impart it comes, we just ooze of it and benefit their little souls. Being their friend with such strict boundaries so that discipline comes first and knowledge second and friendship third. Tough Love and a life of balance we achieve! Growing people, is a lifetime career from God and walking with Him makes the experience all worth it and high five!

No comments:

Post a Comment